This adapted edition is produced through the University Libraries at Virginia Tech’s Open Education Initiative (https://guides.lib.vt.edu/oer/grantees) which funded Pamplin College faculty, and University Libraries’ faculty and staff labor. This included grant and technical support from the University Libraries’ Open Education Initiative https://guides.lib.vt.edu/oer/grants. Support for Ron Poff’s contributions was provided by the Pamplin College of Business at Virginia Tech.
This book updates the first, second, and third editions of Fundamentals of Business, adapted by Stephen Skripak, et al. Version notes located in the back of the book describe changes and updates implemented in the fourth edition.
Much of the content in Chapters 1-15 and 17-18 is based on an openly licensed text hosted by the Saylor Foundation. The Saylor Foundation has given permission to adapt and redistribute http://www.saylor.org/site/textbooks/Exploring%20Business.docx via a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 (CC BY NC-SA) license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0. The Saylor Foundation previously adapted this work under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 (CC BY NC-SA) license and without attribution as requested by the work’s original creator or licensee.
Selected text and figures were used in Chapter 16 from Introduction to Tourism and Hospitality in BC: https://opentextbc.ca/introtourism. Morgan Westcott, Editor and © Capilano University. The copyright holder has given permission to adopt and redistribute via a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 (CC BY) license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0.
OpenStax has given permission to adapt and redistribute Introduction to Business https://openstax.org/details/books/introduction-business via a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 (CC BY) license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0.
- Content adapted for Chapter 4
- Understanding Business Ethics, Section 2.1. Retrieved from: https://openstax.org/books/introduction-business/pages/2-1-understanding-business-ethics
- Blowing the Whistle on Financial Fraud in Buying and Selling at Securities Exchanges, Section 16.7. Retrieved from: https://openstax.org/books/introduction-business/pages/16-7-buying-and-selling-at-securities-exchanges
- Content adapted for Chapter 7
- Making Smarter Homes [Video]. Retrieved from: https://youtu.be/kMt4wqZfgmU
- Content adapted for Chapter 8
- Summary of Learning Outcomes, Chapter 6. Retrieved from: https://openstax.org/books/introduction-business/pages/6-8-trends-in-management-and-leadership
- Content adapted for Chapter 14
- Trends in Social Media, Section 12.10. Retrieved from: https://openstax.org/books/introduction-business/pages/12-10-trends-in-social-media
- Content adapted for Chapter 17
- Exploring Business Careers, Chapter 16. Retrieved from: https://openstax.org/books/introduction-business/pages/16-introduction
- Role of Finance and the Financial Manager, Section 16.1. Retrieved from: https://openstax.org/books/introduction-business/pages/16-1-the-role-of-finance-and-the-financial-manager
- Content adapted to create nearly the whole of Chapter 19
- Using Technology to Manage Information, Chapter 13. Retrieved from: https://openstax.org/books/introduction-business/pages/13-introduction
The following copyright holder has generously given written permission to reproduce this image:
- (c) “The PowerSki Jetboard.” Figure 10.1 Permission granted for this and future versions of this text by copyright owner Bob Montgomery.
Cover image attributions:
- Front cover: Photo by Lukas from Pexels (https://www.pexels.com/photo/close-up-photo-of-survey-spreadsheet-590022/)(Pexels license) and photo by fauxels from Pexels (https://www.pexels.com/photo/close-up-photo-of-survey-spreadsheet-590022/)(Pexels license).
- Back cover: Photo by Alena Darmel from Pexels (https://www.pexels.com/photo/businessman-and-women-in-the-meeting-room-8133867/)(Pexels license), photo by Cedric Fauntleroy from Pexels (https://www.pexels.com/photo/women-in-hijab-sitting-at-table-with-laptops-8154524/)(Pexels license), photo by mscamilaalmeida from Pixabay (https://pixabay.com/photos/empire-state-building-1350511/?download)(Pixabay license), and photo by Wladyslaw from WikimediaCommons (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Eiffel_Tower_and_La_D%C3%A9fense_from_the_Tour_Montparnasse,_October_2010.jpg)(CC BY 3.0).
Additional sources are referenced at the end of each chapter.